We think it’s essential that Learners of English have access to real and up-to-date examples of English language. That’s why Collins is committed to creating materials that are authentic, high-quality and easy-to-use. Our ELT list includes classroom, self-study and reference materials for all ages and language levels, suitable for most international contexts and teaching situations, including ESL learners.
These materials are informed by the Collins Corpus, which is the largest collection of authentic language data in the world and is constantly updated to reflect current language use.
Collins ELT list has a range of accessible materials all mapped against the Common European Framework. You can see our materials at a glance here.
Our ELT list includes:
- Young Learners
- Exam preparation – TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS and Practice Tests for Cambridge English
- General English and Skills
- English for Business, Work and ESP
- English for Academic Purposes
- COBUILD Dictionaries and Reference
COBUILD dictionaries offer a complete reference tool for learners of English, providing invaluable and detailed guidance on the English language.
COBUILD was developed from a research project set up in the 1980s by University of Birmingham and Collins, run by the pioneering linguist John Sinclair. The original COBUILD dictionary (1987) was the first of a new generation of dictionaries for learners based on actual corpus evidence rather than on the compilers’ intuition.
Collins has continued to build on this pioneering research in order to deliver real English to students and teachers around the world.
- Builds confidence with words and phrases used in context in order for learners to understand exactly how to use them
- Focuses on communicative goals; pragmatics labels provide information on connotations, additional ideas or emotions expressed by words.
- Improves vocabulary acquisition and develops fluency; includes illustrations, visual thesaurus, picture dictionary boxes and many vocabulary building features which help learners to improve their language skills.
- Promotes autonomous learning with activity guides which show learners how to practice independently with the dictionary.
- Includes a range of reference titles such as Phrasal Verbs, Idioms Dictionary, English Usage and English Grammar and Practice.